Wednesday 13 June 2012

Importance of Primers

Ever wonder why your make up disappears after just a few hours of wear? Or that they could never withstand any water or sweat? Or you could see your eyeshadow creased on your lids?

Here's the deal - primers! Application of a primer creates a layer of protection on your skin to prevent it from sweating or becoming too oily. Most of them also act as a "grip" for your make up so they the products look more vibrant than just plainly applied on your skin.

Today I'm specifically discussing about Eye Primers and some of the ones that I own. Keep in mind that different people have different skin conditions. I don't have oily skin but I do have oily eye lids, hence eye primers are essential for me if I want it to last all day long!


Today I'll be demonstrating the vibrancy using the "crease" colour in this Wet n Wild palette


Benefit Stay Don't Stray (tester); ELF Eyeshadow Primer


Top: Without primer; L: Benefit; R: ELF

At first glance, I'm sure you will notice that the swatch without primer is much less vibrant compared to the ones below. The reason I compared these 2 products together is because although they create the vibrancy, they are very lacking in lasting power. They generally last about 2 to 3 hours on me and will start to crease. 

Keep in mind that the ELF Eyeshadow Primer only cost $3! If you don't usually have much problem with facial oil, I'm sure that this product is more than good enough. In comparison to the Benefit product, I am certainly not a fan of it and it costs a lot more compared to ELF.



These 2 primers are the cult favourites as they both have amazing lasting power and work really well to enhance your eye shadows. They both come in variety of colours and note that my UD Primer Potion has shimmer in it to create a more shimmery effect compared to the eyeshadow itself. 


Bottom: Without primer; L: Urban Decay; R: Too Faced

I used to own the Urban Decay in nude colour but I've ran out of it and tried out the Too Faced shadow insurance instead. They both cost about $20-$25 per tube and would last you for over half a year even if used everyday! These 2 brands are very similar so I can't pick which one is better than the other.

Remember! Apply only a thin layer of primer on your lids before you apply your eyeshadow! A little goes a long way so don't waste it. :)

I hope this info helped some people! Thank you for reading and be back tomorrow for a make up tutorial! 

No comments:

Post a Comment